If you want to protect your patio or deck from the weather, you may want to consider some sort of patio cover. Several different structure types can help cover as well as decorate your outdoor space. Two popular choices are traditional-style patio covers and pergolas. Keep reading to learn more about traditional patio covers and pergolas and the benefits of one over the other.
What Are Patio Covers?
The broad term "patio cover" refers to any structure that covers your outdoor patio or deck. In some ways, pergolas are patio covers. However, when most people say "patio covers," they are usually thinking of something more solid. Patio covers usually have some of the features listed below.
- They have a roof construction designed for weather protection
- They can be both freestanding or attached
- They are made with a variety of soft and hard materials
- They can match your home's structure and exterior decor
What Are Pergolas?
Pergolas have a simpler design. Usually, they have open rafters instead of a solid roof. Therefore, they are not as protective against the weather. However, some people can fit a canopy over it to make up for this. Many people also place plants and grow vines throughout their pergolas.
Pergolas are usually freestanding and not attached to the home like a patio cover. They tend to be less complicated and time-consuming to build. While you can customize pergolas to a degree, patio covers offer more flexibility in this area.
What Are the Benefits of Patio Covers Over Pergolas?
Whether a patio cover or a pergola is beneficial for you depends on how you want to use them. In general, patio covers offer a wider range of options and uses over pergolas. For example, patio covers offer these benefits:
- They can have solid, weatherproof coverings such as shingles, metal, and tile roofs.
- They can have an attic area to run wiring for electrical items like fans and televisions.
- They can range from simple and cost-effective to elaborate and fancy
- They are easier to maintain and tend to be more durable
- They make adding on extras like retractable sides easier
Whether you choose a patio cover or pergola depends on what you are looking for and where you need it. Patio covers have many benefits, and you can have one designed to meet your needs. If you need a patio cover or you want to see what other options you have, contact a patio cover retailer for more information.Share